Drink & Draw! At the Martini Room
Saturday, August 12, 2017 – 7pm-10pm
The theme for this Drink and Draw will be Exquisite Corpse. Wait…What is Exquisite Corpse you ask?
Exquisite corpse, also known as exquisite cadaver (from the original French term cadavre exquis) or rotating corpse, is a method by which a collection of words or images is collectively assembled. Each collaborator adds to a composition in sequence, either by following a rule (e.g. “The adjective noun adverb verb the adjective noun“, as in “The green duck sweetly sang the dreadful dirge”) or by being allowed to see only the end of what the previous person contributed.
In a nutshell:
- Three artists will work on each of these boards.
- Artist #1 will draw the head, cover all but 1/4 inch of it and pass it to the next artist.
- Artist #2 will draw the body with only the bottom 1/4 inch of Artist #1’s drawing as reference. They will then cover all but the bottom 1/4 inch of their drawing and hand it to artist #3.
- Artist #3 will draw the legs and feet not knowing what Artists #1 and #2 have done.
- When Artist #3 is done, the final complete work will be revealed. Will they be masterpieces or horrible, grotesque monstrosities…or both?
Our plan is to have a limited number of boards prepared. They that will be marked up with the guild lines for the three sections and cover boards will be provided. We ask that just black lines be used so there is some consistency between the three artists.
You can see some examples of Exquisite Corpse drawings here:
Our plan is to sell these collaborative pieces to help fund our next art show, Robots, Rockets, and Space Vixens. If you don’t want to participate in this experiment, you are still welcome to join us to draw your own stuff, hang out, watch the horror show of collaborative art, and/or find some amazing art deals.