The Oddball Art Machine is a repurposed 1950’s cigarette vending machine that has been converted to sell artwork the size of cigarette packs for only five dollars each. There are 21 slots available in the machine, each of which contains artwork by an individual artist.
We’ll usually have at least one ‘Mystery Channel‘ that will contain a mixture of different artists’ work that has almost sold out…shuffled together so you don’t know what you’ll get. Take a chance and discover a new artist. Rest assured that every piece in the machine is handmade and completely unique, so you’ll never get the same piece of art twice.
The machine travels to different locations around Elgin in order to promote the arts in Elgin while simultaneously promoting Elgin’s wonderful downtown businesses.
Oddball Art Labs was proud to unveil the “Oddball Art Machine” during our “Strange Imaginations and Other Perplexing Wonders” gallery show in July 2018.
Want to get involved?
We are always looking for artists in Elgin and the surrounding Chicagoland area who want to create art blocks for the vending machine.
Current Artists | Mobile Art Machine
When we fill the machine with new artist’s work, we’ll post the full set in the Odd Blog. Check out the newest additions here.
Where will it be next
Thank you to Side Street Studio Arts for giving us a safe place to park the machine during this COVID-19 pandemic.
The Mobile Art Machine will have limited availability until businesses are able to open back up safely. We don’t want to overburden any of our supporting businesses with extra worries. The dates listed may not reflect where the machine will be.
We look forward to when casual foot traffic returns to our local business partners and we encourage everyone to support them.
Where has it been
- January – Dec. 2022 – Side Street Studio Arts
- January – Dec. 2021 – Side Street Studio Arts
- January 2020 – Elgin Public House
- February 2020 – Dream Hall
- March & April 2020 – Soulful Sparrow
- May – December2020 – Side Street Studio Arts
- January 2019 – Martini Room
- February 2019 – Danny’s Pizza
- March 2019 – Soulful Sparrow
- April 2019 – Rediscover Records
- May 2019 – Elgin Public House
- June 2019 – Danny’s Pizza
- July 2019 – Blue Box Cafe
- July 2019 – ArtSpace Elgin (Cartoon Cavalcade receptions)
- August 2019 – Beef Villa (Larkin Ave)
- September 2019 – Martini Room
- October 2019 – Side Street Studio Arts
- November 2019 – Blue Box Cafe
- December 2019 – Soulful Sparrow
- July 2018 – ArtSpace Elgin
- August 2018 – Art & Soul on the Fox
- September 2018 – Martini Room
- October 2018 – Side Street Studio Arts
- November 2018 – Blue Box Cafe
- December 2018 – Martini Room
Our Past Artists have either sold out all their blocks or have just a few in the “Mystery Channel” in the machine. If you see something you like here, there may be just one or two left. So take a chance on the mystery as you may be pleasantly surprised.
Other Past Artists include:
- Renee Alverez
- Eve Blagoeva
- Karl Jahnke
- Nate Richards